Nothing can stop time and the aging that goes with it. Yet, looking young is within every woman’s grasp as long as she follows the necessary steps to preserve that youthful glow. Looking young and beautiful can be achieved at any age with good nutrition, an exercise regimen, good sleeping habits, and a consistent skin care habit.
Anti-aging creams, moisturizers, and serums are almost everywhere attesting to man’s eternal quest for the fountain of youth. Some of these products live up to their claim but improper usage can lead to wrong results. Knowing the proper way of applying anti-aging products could definitely spell the difference between a youthful looking complexion and one that disregards the rules.
The proper way of applying anti-aging products to the face may or may not come with instructions from skin manufacturers. This might make you think that it does not matter so long as you’ve applied it on your face. Yet, it does make an impact on facial skin whether you like it or not.
The active ingredients contained in the anti-aging cream of your choice needs to be properly applied for it to penetrate the skin’s dermis and make it effective. Improper way of application is wasteful when the active ingredients just lie on the surface of the skin which will not bring the expected desired effect. Taking time to learn the best way of applying anti-aging creams, moisturizers or serums to your face will show the big difference from a method that just rubs it in.
Another important thing to remember is to stick to one brand of anti-aging products for you to get the best results. It is an undeniable fact that women always end up buying different brands when it comes to skin care mainly because they become tempted by the latest and newest facial care product.
Going for one brand can let you layer them together without giving skin problems. Mixing and matching different brands can bring on clashing results that end up in skin problems which you’ve never had before. Different brands use different ingredients and layering them together will not achieve the desired effect you are looking forward to.
Applying too much anti-aging cream in the belief that more is better is simply delaying or defeating its purpose. The saying “less is more” applies to anti-aging creams as well. When too much cream is applied on the face, it will absorb too much of it resulting in breakouts as it clogs and coagulates the pores. Overloading products on the face lead to too much greasiness which can ruin your carefully applied makeup when you use it as a base.
Here are some top tips to guide you on the proper way of applying anti-aging creams or serums:
- Always clean your face and use a toner if you usually use one. One thing to remember about toners though is to choose one that should balance the acidity of the facial skin. A slightly acidic skin gives it its healthiest glow and clarity.
2.The proper setting for an anti-aging cream to do its work is a clean, slightly moist, and warm face. The active ingredients present in the cream penetrate better when the skin is freshly cleaned. Cleaning the face should not be overdone and while exfoliating has been seen as a good method to rid dead skin build-up, too much also strips away the skin layer leaving it open to toxins and other bacterial skin infections. Soap used to be the standard product used for cleaning the face which has been done away with the advent of skin cleansers that do not leave residues on the skin. More skin residues create more skin problems since it disturbs its natural balance.
3. To achieve a slightly moist and warm skin, apply a warm towel to the face. The warmth from the towel will readily open the pores of the facial skin making it fertile ground for the active ingredients to begin its work on it.
4. With the use of your middle finger, apply tiny dots of cream all over the face. Then, by using both middle fingers quickly and lightly blend the cream on the face.
5. Applying the anti-aging cream should be done with short firm but light strokes. Pulling, rubbing or stretching the skin is a big no-no.
6. Use your fingers to gently tap the skin for 30 seconds while the cream is still wet on the face. Use all your fingers to gently and lightly tap the whole face including the sides. This method encourages the cream to sink deeply into the skin to the farthest it is allowed to go.
7. There is no cause for worry if a tingling sensation is felt after the serum or cream has been applied to the face. Feeling the face tingle is a sign that the active ingredients of the cream is doing its work and have penetrated the skin where it’s supposed to.
8. Use the above steps for applying the anti-aging cream during the daytime. If you need to layer a moisturizer over it, do so only when the anti-aging cream has become dry. Applying moisturizer should also be lightly and gently applied on the face. It also needs to be dry before you apply foundation.
9. Some, if not most, anti-aging skin products contain active ingredients such as alpha hydroxy acids or retinol. While they do help, the use of sunscreens during the daytime even when you’re inside the house should be part of the regimen.
In a nutshell
Anti-aging creams or serums usually have lighter consistencies compared to moisturizers and other facial creams. Layering heavy creams on top of anti-aging creams before they are dry stops them from doing their job properly. Too much application, pulling, and stretching of facial skin does more harm than good. In everything, moderation holds the key to successfully and effectively use an anti-aging cream.