Among the most effective strategies on the internet, content marketing stands out for many good reasons. A 2015 Aberdeen Research shows that businesses that lead in content marketing enjoy 7.8X higher year-over-year growth in unique traffic compared to followers. A similar survey published by HubSpot says that 61% of consumers are influenced by custom content. Due to the importance of content in marketing, 53% of marketers have prioritized it in their inbound marketing campaigns. A report by Demand Metric says that content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing techniques and generates 3X as many leads. 8 Essential Content Marketing Tips for Small Businesses.
Getting Started with Content Marketing
These numbers make a strong case for investing in content creation but there is a catch. Most business owners don’t know how to get started with their content management strategy. If you are wondering how to get your online business off the ground, these 8 essential content marketing tips for small businesses should be a good place to start:
- Stand out and be unique – The content you use on your business website and social media platforms must be memorable. Remember, internet users have a short attention span, so avoid long winding written texts. Instead, captivate them with videos and memorable images that they can easily recall.
- Prioritize customer segments – You need to use analytics in order to segment your customers. This makes it easier to target them with the right content. If you are using an email list, for instance, you will observe better click through if you are targeting the right people.
- Relevance is king – Never post for the sake of posting because the internet user is already tired of advertisements. As such, provide only insightful and helpful content that reflects what your brand strands for. Before posting, go through the content and assess whether it reflects your brand.
- Open yourself to opportunities – You can easily use content outreach to get your brand noticed and build yourself as an authority. Sharing your knowledge as a guest blogger, for instance, helps build you and leads readers to your website.
- Take your time – If you are looking for overnight success with your content, you are in for some disappointment. Don’t expect a spike in conversion and traffic. Instead, focus on building a strong follower base over time. These are the people who will keep coming back for more.
- Flexibility is paramount – Like with any other online marketing strategy, you have to stay abreast of the changes in content marketing. Video might be hot today but you should also monitor what is happening with long content.
- Optimize your keywords – You must use metrics when it comes to using keywords. You have to measure the effectiveness of keywords already in use to determine what is working and what is not.
- Temper expectations – Set your own goals and operate within your timelines. Remember, others might have started their content marketing campaigns earlier and it is therefore not a good idea to use them as a yardstick.
8 Essential Content Marketing Tips for Small Businesses
Content marketing is an affordable and flexible marketing strategy that boosts your website’s visibility, promotes your brand, builds domain authority and increases traffic. It is the ultimate online marketing tool.
Derek Iwasiuk is a digital marketing strategist working in New Orleans. He also comments on topical issues in internet marketing. His webinar titled 8 essential content marketing tips for small businesses has become a must-have guide for online marketers.